|Ingrown Pubic Hair- Treatment & Prevention|
The current haute couture and fitness trends have led to an epidemic of ingrown pubic hairs. Grooming our pubic hair is a very personal choice. Do we really want to tame that unruly bush ? People's reaction to the topic range from... who cares !... just a little trim please... to I like that "clean virginal look".
Improper pubic hair grooming habits lead to ingrown pubic hairs. Shaving is the most common culprit but, improper waxing, tweezing and depilatory products can also cause ingrown pubic hairs. Yes, I know if you're going to wear a bikini or a speedo... something has to be done in the "bikini area". Again some professions demand that the "bikini area" be maintained... body builders... models etc.
Persons with dark, coarse... curly hair are prone to ingrown hairs. As you know, the pubic area is usually curlier and coarser than other areas. People of color are unusually susceptible to ingrown pubic hairs... and unforetunately ingrown hairs... period.
An ingrown pubic hair is caused by a hair being cut too short... or it breaks off below the skin. The hair then begins to grow into the side of the follicle. It becomes that angry red bump you're familiar with... an ingrown pubic hair. Let's look at the best prevention tips.
1. Shaving- The best prevention is not to shave the pubic area... or shave less often. If you must shave... do it properly !
Trim the Pubic Hair- Pull the hair away from your body and trim with scissors or clippers with a safety guard.
-- Razors- Use a sharp single bladed razor, preferably a safety razor to shave the pubic area. Multi bladed razors, shave too close to the skin, and can lead to ingrown pubic hairs. A sharp single bladed razor is the best defense against ingrown pubic hairs.
-- Shaving- Stretch your skin with one hand. Shave in the direction of the hair growth... or with the grain. Use two or three short strokes to lessen irritation. Shave once a week... as shaving more often can leave the hair too short... making it easier an ingrown pubic hair to develop. If you shave in the same manner every time, you can train the hair to grow straighter. This is a benefit to shaving the same way each time. This is crucial for the African American population who are highly prone to ingrown hairs.
3. Exfoliation- removing the dead skin cells will release any hairs that may have become trapped in the hair follicle. Use a loofa or synthetic sponge to lightly scrub the pubic area. There are some good exfoliation products for your pubic area available at the local drug store. The best products contain either salicylic or glycolic acids. It's best to do a "patch test" , which as I mentioned, is to try the product on your forearm, to check for any allergic reaction.
5. Depilatories- This is an option to eliminate the need for regular shaving... thus reducing your chance of getting an ingrown pubic hair. Depilatories work by dissolving the protein in the hair... causing the hair to disintegrate, then just wipe it away. The good news is it takes 3 to 6 weeks for the hair to return... it will usually be much finer.
6. Avoid Waxing the Pubic Area- Even if you're tough to use this method of hair removal... I wouldn't recommend it. It's very easy to have the hairs break off below the skin... thereby causing an ingrown pubic hair. I can't even imagine using waxing on the testicles.
If you currently have an ingrown pubic hair.... stop shaving until it heals. Don't use depilatories or waxes as you may get an infected ingrown pubic hair.
Your best options for dealing with an ingrown pubic hair are as follows:
1. Gently exfoliate with a loofa, synthetic sponge or product specifically designed to exfoliate the pubic area.
3. Use a pair of pointed tweezers, with good grips, to lift the hair out of the hair follicle. Use hydrogen peroxide to sanitize the tweezers before lifting the hair out of the follicle. Then dab the area with the hydrogen peroxide to prevent infection.
4. Use Aloe Vera on the ingrown pubic hair for it's antiseptic and healing properties.
5. Again, wear loose fitting undergarments and pants. You don't want to aggravate the problem.
These are the best prevention tips for avoiding an ingrown pubic hair. There is some misinformation out there... these tips are well documented and proven effective. You will not have to deal with ingrown pubic hairs if you follow these recommendations.
In a later section... dealing with infected ingrown hairs.
Also proven ingrown hair treatments products, as well as, treatments for problem skin.
Copyright©2006 -2009 IngrownHairFacts.com All Rights Reserved